+ Reply to Thread

Thread: worms eating my garlic ?

bloosquall Guest

worms eating my garlic ?

I was out looking at the garlic today and saw some bare spots, I dug down to see where the plant were and found a bunch of roots. Great looking roots but with nothing attached to them anymore. The whole plant is gone, I mean gone, nothing, not a trace of it ever being there. I looked for tunnels...nope. I looked for mush where the clove may have rotted, nope. I found hundreds of these little whitish red worms all over under the straw, in the ground and inside the clove skin on a few of the plants that were still there in that row.

The row 2' away is just fine though and not all of that 2 x 80' row is wiped out. I saw this last year over there also. I should have known not to plant again on that property. Hopefully if the worms or whatever it is that's destroying my plants stops it'll only cost me around $500 in losses. That just kinda f***ed my Chesnok this year.

Blog Entries
    My first thought would be bulb and stem nematodes.
    How big are they and can you get a pic of them please?
    Recte agens confido

01000100 01110101 01100001 01101110 01100101 00100000 01010000 01100101 01110010 01110010 01111001

eve1 Guest
    I had the same problem last year remember?

bloosquall Guest
    I got a call this morning from a man who I took out there to see the destruction, it seems they are millipedes. I do not have a good enough digi cam to take a picture of these so I found one online http://bugguide.net/node/view/49405

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7472.html

I was told there are sprays to control the infestation and traps or baits to attract them away from what you don't want destroyed. This section isn't going to be 100 % organic anymore cause I'm going to nuke them. I will start my attack by removing the straw cover then locate the appropriate pesticide.

Quote Originally Posted by bloosquall View Post
    it seems they are millipedes.
    You didn't say they had legs or I woulda posted this earlier

Earwigs & Millipedes
    6 tablespoon Eucalyptus Oil
    6 tablespoon Dawn dishsoap
    1 quart water
    Mix all ingredients together and spray around on the ground at night

In Loving Memory of James Jonathan Holland
    March 7, 1926----March 23, 2006

MichaelC Guest
    It looked like rain so I decided to pull my few Chilled Red Toch garlic. I found a couple very small red worm looking things and remembered reading this post earlier. I took a few pictures. It was difficult as they are only about 1/8" long and maby 1/32" wide. They don't seem to be the same thing in the photo above. Anyone know what these are?

Here is a picture taken from the side.
    It looks like it has legs.
    The head is to the left.

Same thing, see the legs under em in the lower pic. You've seen them before as an adult I bet, they had what looks like a hard brown shell, little dawn and their toast.

And excuse my rudeness MichaelC, I just noticed your in the sunshine state also. You may want to remove some of the straw/mulch, thats what attracts them things. We don't really need it down here it never gets that cold.

MichaelC Guest
    Tommy,
    No rudeness there that I see. Thanks for responding, I need all the help I can get. Does the dawn hurt the plants if it get on them? Can I mix this up and put it in a pump up sprayer and just spray between and around the garlic (and other) plants? How often should spraying take place?

Now if I can just find Eucalyptus Oil
    Thanks for the help,
    Michael

bloosquall Guest
    I went out and found more of the critters, I tried to take a picture of one but didn't do a very good job...I couldn't see it in the screen. This patch is not organic anymore. My guy suggested Sevin as an insecticide to kill the little buggers. I really have a problem using harsh chemicals on garlic ground. I don't want to kill anything in the soil...but this is an exception. I read about the soap and Euc oil but used what was close handy and paid for.

you can sort of see the thing just above 3:00 in the picture, it's curled up. I have never heard of millipedes being a pest to garlic. I have not found anything else on or in the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	millipede picture.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	9937  

The dawn won't hurt anything but the bug's, all of them. This soap causes the ecto shell to crack and the bugs literally bleed to death.

Here ya go Michael>>
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2507830
    And a store locator for Florida>> http://www.gnc.com/corp/index.jsp?pa...ator=&state=FL

bloosquall, what their after is the decaying straw, the garlic having an outer cover that is quite similar to that is more N likely why they got into it. J/K here, but you can probably pick the ones out who ate it, they'll be alone with their garlic breath, lol

bloosquall Guest
    Hi Tommy, thanks for that info, I know that soapy water kills wasps. I'll do an all out search for that one fat critter with the garlic breath. I still have a sense of humor even though I'm getting bent over with this situation. It's my turn in the barrel

MichaelC Guest
    Thanks Tommy

+ Reply to Thread